The Bunaken National Marine Park
The Bunaken National Marine Park was formally established in 1991 and is among the first of Indonesia’s growing system of marine parks. However, it was not until 2000 that the park began to get serious funding from the users, in order to be able to rezone and send out environmental patrols to move towards more sustainable conservation. The Park lies off shore from Manado, and covers a total surface area of 89,065 hectares, 97% of which is covered by sparkling clear, warm tropical water. The remaining 3% of the park is terrestrial, including the five islands of Bunaken, Manado Tua, Mantehage, Nain and Siladen.
We currently represent many resorts that are based on Bunaken or Siladen Islands or on the mainland around Manado.
Bunaken National Park
Bunaken National Park – Dive Resorts
The Bunaken Entrance Fee
Currently the NEW law regarding the Bunaken Entrance Fee has being finalized. For the moment it is not the responsibility of the dive operator or the travel agent to collect this fee. Please ask your dive operator the best way to comply with the administration of this park entrance fee of IDR 150,000 per day (foreigner). (There is NOT a 1 day entrance fee tag of IDR 50,000 it is IDR 150,000)
The Bunaken Entrance Fee: Questions and Answers
Why do I have to pay a fee to enter Bunaken?
Where does my money go?
Why do I still see management problems in the park?
What are the priority programs to be funded by the entrance fee system?
Why isn't trash management the top priority?
Why do I still see people fishing if this is a protected park?
How can I help Bunaken further?
As an honored guest to Bunaken, please respect the rules and especially the reefs of the park. Avoid damaging corals and other marine life by controlling your buoyancy and not standing on the reef. Report any violations you see immediately to your host operation or the park patrols – anchoring on the reef is a primary violation! While on the islands, consider patronizing local food, drink and handicraft vendors – one more person benefiting from tourism is one less person pressuring the reefs.
Secondly, consider donating to the park through the dive operators of the North Sulawesi Watersports Association (NSWA) or the BNPMAB. The NSWA has several donation programs, including a scholarship program for local youths in the park. The BNPMAB has overall responsibility for conservation programs in the park and can put any donations to good use.
Thank you for visiting Bunaken National Park. We hope you enjoy your stay, and aim to ensure it is even better the next time you visit.
Bunaken National Park Management Advisory Board